Friday, January 26, 2007

Jesus Camp

I watched the documentary Jesus Camp tonight and all I can say is WOW! I mean I was aware that people like that existed and everything but actually seeing it....damn. For those of you that aren't familiar with the film, it documents Pastor Becky Fisher and participants in her "Kids on Fire" Evangelical summer camp. To say that it is disturbing is completely understating my feelings. So many things just made me gasp, some examples: 1) "Let me tell you something about Harry Potter. Warlocks are enemies of god. They're an enemy of God. And, had it been in the old testament, Harry Potter would of been put to death. You don't make heroes out of warlocks." (not that she hated HP but that she told a bunch of kids that as Christians they would have killed him if he were real) and 2) how the camp people made a prophet of Bush, and 3) 5-6 year old kids "talking in tongues" as they prayed to stop abortion. I definitely recommend watching Jesus Camp as I was definitely fascinated and if for no other reason than to get a glimpse into the life of fundamentalist Christians, but be prepared to be more than a bit freaked out.

2 comments:

asbeeus said...

You failed to mention the part where almost every kid during sermons cried. No I can be an emotional person at times, and I can see where some sermons might make some believers tear up, but there was nothing special about the sermons that would make a non-brainwashed person cry.

Lisa said...

I haven't seen the documentary yet, but I have to say that the Evangelical Movement tends to freak me out a bit. I'm not sure if it's the language they use, or what . . .