Monday, October 23, 2006

Things you find out when you are procrastinating paper writing

So dorky confession. As I sat in the library pretending to work on my paper, I realized that I haven't updated recently do to my overwhelming apathy towards pretty much everything so I decided that blogging is much more fun than papers on surrogacy contracts so I set out coming up with a great title. (That post has now been postponed due to this awesome one). Well, I was planning to use the word Amuck in this snazzy eye-catcher of a title but I honestly couldn't remember if it was spelled amuck or amok and since I am one of the worst spellers on the planet and super dorky I used my trusty bookmarked dictionary.com and found out that either is acceptable. Sadly this did make me a little happy knowing that I knew not one but both of the accepted spellings of a word. Seriously, you laugh but you are reading the blog of a girl who made herself sick on spelling bee day in 5th grade to avoid the shame of going down in flames (no easy task if you knew my mother and her stance on school attendance unless you are near death's door) and who dropped a class in undergrad when I found out that in-class writing assignments would be graded with spelling and grammar mistakes heavily factored in. I know the dual spelling all that exciting to normal people, but the more interesting thing about this story (at least in my dorky little mind) is the definition of amuck. According to dictionary.com:
Run or go amuck: to rush about in a murderous frenzy.

Or even better:
an episode of sudden mass assault against people or objects usually by a single individual following a period of brooding that has traditionally been regarded as occurring especially in Malaysian culture but is now increasingly viewed as psychopathological behavior occurring worldwide in numerous countries and cultures —amok also amuck adjective or adverb.

Here I was all this time using amuck just thinking that it meant that one was running around in a chaotic kinda way yet evidently its really all about killing people. Awesome.

1 comment:

The Mixocologist said...

I had NO IDEA the Malaysians were prone to mass homicide. Thanks! Say goodbye to my asian friends... those crazy motherfuckers.