Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Shame On You

Maybe its just me but I think that there are lines that the media should not cross when it covers stories. And one of those lines I feel strongly about is what pictures you are willing to use. Currently on the main page of CNN there is a picture to go along with the top story of a Utah Mall Shooting. Okay fine, but this picture shows what looks to be a dead teenager sprawled on the floor with a police officer casually looking on. Maybe its just me but I think there is something very wrong with that. I can't help but feel heartbreak for this kid's family. Its horrible enough finding out a loved one has been gunned down, but I can't imagine the horror of having to see a picture of your child/parent/friend laying dead and seemingly uncared for splashed all over the media. I am all for free press and showing graphic pictures are sometimes the only way to show the truth (i.e. war zones) but I think in this case the line was crossed. Its one thing to show victims being taken from the scene by rescue workers or maybe even a wide shot of the scene that doesn't focus on any one person but it is quite another to show this type of close shot....basic human dignity is missing. Maybe I am just oversensitive, but I think this is just wrong. Shame on you CNN! When Fox News covers a story with more dignity and respect than you do, you know you have sunken to a new low.

Update: evidently someone at CNN agrees with me as now there is a slightly less offensive picture up. I still don't like it as I think its rather callous but at least it doesn't show the victim as a forgotten body. We shall see how CNN proceeds...

No comments: