Thursday, April 05, 2007

"Don't Fuck with the Babysitter!"

Truer words have never been spoken. Hell hath no fury like a pissed-off teenager making 6 bucks an hour to watch some little brats when she would rather be anywhere else.

And why am I talking about this you may ask? Well, its because I have just discovered the next horrific stop in Hollywood's attempt to ruin every classic movie with a remake as mentioned in Alexis' blog. What piece of my childhood are they messing with now, you ask? Well as you have most likely already guessed by the title of this post, Disney, in a moment of memory-crushing glory,is remaking "Adventures in Babysitting" and it will star Raven and Miley Cyrus (of Hannah Montana and being Billy Ray Cyrus' daughter fame).

For the love of all that is holy, why?!! First and foremost, this movie should never be remade. I mean it just shouldn't. It is one of those movies that everyone growing up in the 1980s has seen (or should have seen) and looks back on with nostalgia. If you say something about "No one leaves this place without singing the blues" most people our age are going to know what you are referencing. And no one will ever better than Elizabeth Shue as Chris. Please tell me what girl between the ages of 22-30 has not at one point danced around to "And Then He Kissed Me" with the curtain wrapped around her head a la Elizabeth Shue's opening scene (or at least wanted to)? In fact, just tonight Alexis and I were reminiscing about this very scene. And Disney must we really pour salt into my open wounds by casting Raven "I can't act my way out of a paper bag if my life depended on it" Simone and Hannah Montana??? Why not just cast that annoying Corbin Bleu kid with the crazy hair and really bring on the pain?

Disney, I am begging you please please please don't do this! Have we learned nothing from the slaying of another 1980's classic when "Can't Buy Me Love" was butchered into the horrible "Love Don't Cost a Thing"?! Leave my childhood alone and go back to making "Cinderella 13: Lucifer the Cat's Revenge" or "Mighty Ducks 10: The Retirement Years." Disney just move on because Chris Parker had it right when she warned, "Don't Fuck with the Babysitter."

8 comments:

The Desert Rat said...

I'm amazed Disney hasn't tried to update The Godfather and Mr. Smith Goes To Washington yet too.

Maybe Disney should come up with an original idea for once.

I'm right with you, I can't stand why companies do this.

The Desert Rat said...

Wow, that second line isn't even close to being a coherent sentence....I really hope I spelled coherent correctly.

asbeeus said...

No! No! NO! NO! NO!!!!!!!

Whats next? Remaking "The Princess Bride?" Stupid Hollywood

Lisa said...

I would boycott Hollywood forever if they remade The Princess Bride. And I'd cry. A lot.

Anonymous said...

As a child of the 1980s, I would have to say that the worst Disney makeovers in my book would be (1) Goonies (2) Ferris Bueller's Day Off (3) Cannonball Run (4) Top Gun and (5) E.T.

So Disney bitches, back off!!!!

Amen to earlier comments...

Anonymous said...

Megan,
Sorry to disappoint you yet again, but not only have I never seen the movie you are referring to, I have also never even heard of it...However, I can only imagine how horrible an original let alone a remake of anything starring Raven and Miley could be.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I know why, my childhood was spent watching those "B" horror movies Alexis is so fond of (and me too, of course). I didn't have time for normal kids movies.

Ms. Public Defender said...

Don't worry Marie I will forgive you this one time. After all I still haven't seen The Goonies and evidently that is just inexcusable