Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A moment of somewhat preachy outrage

So I have somehow managed to go for about a week without getting all political but that is about to change. I just have to take this moment to say WTF?! What the hell is freakin wrong with Fox News?!!! Well actually there are zillions of things wrong with it (Fair and Balanced, my ass! More like the Bush Propaganda machine ), but I disgress. Normally I just avoid it like the plague so I don't get so freakin angry but as I was flipping I happened to see something that caught my eye. What you ask? Well, Fox was analysis the impending implosion of the Middle East and announced that what we as American's should be worrying about is how it will effect gas prices!!
Now I am all about saving some money cause God knows I am freakin poor and I would be the first one to do the happy dance if gas prices fell below $2.50, but damn! I mean seriously. . . Bigger issues here people! Hezbollah and Israel are bombing the hell out of one another and now Israel has troops entering Lebanon. Currently at least 200 Lebanese civilians and 12 Israeli civilians have been reported as dying as a result of the violence. This is about so much more than freakin gas prices! This is being described as one of the largest mass evacuations since World War II. Tens of thousands of people are trying to flee the area. Currently 25,000 Americans alone are trapped waiting for the American government to get around to helping them. (Oh side note on that, another WTF, the American government is freakin' making these citizens sign a promissory note before they are being evacuated!!)
I'm sorry this whole thing just pisses me off. I realize that its much easier to worry about things that are directly effecting you, and rising gas prices are definitely scary and important , but damn. It frightens me that instead of focusing on the human suffering and potential WWIII level violence that could erupt as a result of this, a major national news source tells me to freak out about how much gas prices may rise. Have we as a nation grown that uncaring about the plight of others? Have we grown so jaded that we look at innocent people dying and mass destruction and see only dollar signs? I desperately hope not.
So yes I am eventually going to worry about how gas prices are going to crush me, but for now I am going to instead take some time to think about all those innocent people who wish their biggest problem was paying 3 bucks for a gallon of gas. And yes in a day or two I am going to go back to bitching about all the stupid little stuff that ticks me off about my life but for now I am going to try to just be grateful. Tonight I am going to be going to bed without the worry that my apartment will get bombed during the middle of the night and the knowledge that my family is safe, and that is more than enough reason to feel good.

No comments: