Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Adulthood

This weekend was a big family weekend as all of my siblings managed to be able to hang at my parents house. Aside from the inevitable sibling issues that crop up (because it doesn't matter how old we get after we have been at my parents house for more than 3 hours all together we revert back to some of the petty bickering and snide remarks of our childhood/teenage years) it was a good time. However, it did force me to come to the scary conclusion that I am in fact 25 years old and that equals adulthood.
On my drive over I realized that after this year things are really going to change. Next year, my sister and I will both have graduated from college and law school, respectively and will be goodness knows where depending on where employment opportunities land us and two more of my sisters will be in college. That means my sisters and I are going to be getting real jobs, and real lifelong (hopefully) relationships, and the building of our own families. Leaving for college never bothered me cause I knew that my family would be at home when I came back to visit, but now I realize that is about to change... not all of the family I want to go back to visit will be there. This year may be the last year that we all are present for holiday celebrations and that is just depressing. Soon one or more of us will be calling with the whole "I'd love to come Mom but I have a deadline/ promised to spend this year with his family/ have a sick baby that I don't want to travel with" Ugh. We even had a crazy conversation about what our kids are going to call my parents. That idea used to seem so far away but now I realize its right around the corner. It not bad just different.

And the real shocker of the weekend... I realized that I am really aching for a baby. And that my friends has me terrified! More on that to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently, you and I don't talke enough anymore now that you are in blogland....

1. Funny thing about the 'what to call the parents thing'

2. Let's remember certain phone calls about a year ago about babies and what if. Let someone else go first to remind you why it is you really DON'T want a baby (like my cousin, with her 'I cry all the time because I can and nothing you can do or give me will stop" thing.

3. Thanks for making me cry with the Jon Stewart thing.

4. I love you. And we need to talk so we can plan some sort of superfab and comepletely free long girls weekend somewhere (ok, well, not free, but def fun!)

Lisa said...

Getting a puppy takes the edge off the baby cravings. Seriously.