Monday, August 07, 2006

Always Look on the Brightside of Life

So I am trying to follow the advice of Monty Python and indeed develop a sunnier outlook on life. To do so I am attempting to be more positive. You know, that whole see the glass half-full deal. Thus far it seems to be working fairly well as I am having a pretty good day. It all started cause I will feeling more that a bit miserable about work and I felt like I was a little grey rain cloud of doom whenever I talked to anyone about anything remotely dealing with work. Maybe I didn't actually project that attitude or maybe I did but it was definitely bumming me out and making me less happy in general so it had to go.
So I decided to go with that whole "fake it till you make it" approach as in just smile and say something nice while pretending I don't want to beat down the lawyer I work with and run out of the office screaming that I quit when I really want nothing more than to do just that. But here is the shocker for the first time in awhile I haven't felt like that all day, in fact, I am really enjoying being at work. I started off being determined to just fake that I was happy but I am finding that I actually am more upbeat. When you force yourself to smile and find the silver lining enough, you start to feel those positive thoughts creep into your head without you even willing them there. Hum, who knew all those Little Mary Sunshine folks were right? Now don't get me wrong its not like I completely hated all aspects of work or was constantly sad and depressed instead I was just getting so wrapped up in the bad things that I was ignoring all the good things. Or maybe its just an off day and I am just having an higher than normal tolerance level. Who knows...
An example of my new found positiveness is my handling of my cell phone meltdown. My cell phone has been dying a long and painful death for a while and I finally decided today that I would have to bite the bullet and call the insurance company to issue me a replacement. I sat thru the 20 minutes of crap where you have to verify your information like 400 times and drink a glass of water while standing on your head singing 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' in order to get the company to agree to ship me out a new phone that doesn't attempt to self-implode every other second. Now normally I would be kinda annoyed that I have to pay $5 per month only to have to pay an additional $50 "deductible" to get a new phone, but instead I am just so freakin excited that I will have a phone that will not spazz out on me all the freakin time. Hoorah!
Although I will say the one area in which my new found attempt at positiveness has not caught on is in the driving/road rage area. Today on the way back from the court house there was a car in front of me that had a "W: The President" sticker, a "Marriage = 1 Man and 1 Woman" sticker, a yellow ribbon magnet (the support the troops one) that had been turned sideways so that it would look the the Jesus Fish (just for clarity I have no problem with the support the troups ribbon although I feel they have just become trendy and I think there are better ways to support the troops than stick a little ribbon magnet on your car , especially one made in Korea, but that is for another day) and a "Keep the South Beautiful! Put a Yankee on a Bus" sticker with Confederate Flag. Add to this that they were driving in both of the freakin lanes down Sumter street and I swear to goodness it took almost all my effort not to just ram them with my car! How I hate you ignorant hating self who can't pick a freakin lane! I just wanted to yell,"Stop being such an ass and start learning how to F'in drive!" However I managed to pull myself in and just give them that "you are evil" stare as I drove past them. Sigh...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

How do I link your blog to mine? Auuuggghhh!