Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Baby, oh Baby!

Update on my wish for a baby: Upon further reflection I have realized that although I do want a baby before I am thirty, I think I was just saying that I want a baby because a baby represents a fantasy world where I wouldn't have to get a job next year. Saying I want a baby is just an easier way of saying that I want to avoid the stress and insecurity that comes along with job hunting, and instead have my fantasy life where an adorable, successful, and completely head-over-heels in love with me guy asks me to marry him and have ten thousand of his babies (okay maybe just 2 or 3) and best of all says "Honey, if you don't want to be a lawyer that's okay with me. I'll support us while you stay at home with the kids or volunteer doing something you really love." The feminist in me cringes that I even have that fantasy never mind voice it, but it is true. However, feminist voice or not, it doesn't really matter what my fantasy future entails because its just that, fantasy. Even as I type I am in the process of looking for jobs and not once have I found a listing for a prince charming looking for his princess. But then again, I think the feminist in me might not be so good at being a princess anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should turn to your other love, instead: hard liquor.

Anonymous said...

Don't let your inner Fem cringe too much. Feminism is all about choice. As long as its "honey, if you don't want to be a lawyer" not "honey, don't be silly, you can't be a lawyer. You are a woman "....